This weekend looks like being a scorcher, about 38c, so a bit of indoors building will be in order. Which also leads one to think about oscillator stability. With night time temperatures of 15c to day time temperatures of 35+c degrees there is plent of room for drift.
Thoughts on work to do;
- An antenna for 10 meters; vertical or dipole?
- If heading down the di-pole route, balanced or OCFD?
- Maybe a balun?
- A transmission line should be straight forward, I have some spare clean RG-213.
- How about a tuner, then how do I measure if its really working?
- If a vertical, what about a copper cactus or a just a 5/8 vertical?
- Should I make the local oscillator in a separate box?
- If so I could drive the Kenwood to TX test ... wonder what specs are required to drive its VFO port?
- Then modify the 'sudden tunner' style DC receiver. Based on an NE602 and LM386.
- Hook up to peecee with 96KHz sound card.
- Grab with glfer or baudline.
- Announce its ready...
- Later develop something more focused around web based delivery.
- Find a design for a non-computer 'controlled beacon'. A condition of the Foundation Licence.
- Perhaps a beacon controller as simple as a pair of NE555's and a 4017. The first NE555 at a 30 second on/30 second off interval, driving the clock line of the 4017. The first output pin of the 4017 could then drive the second NE555 with a 3 second on/3second off interval. Effectively sending a '5' every ten minutes in QRSS 3 second dots. The '5' being from the call sign of VK5. My call sign being VK5FNET. But thats a job for another time, but would be nice to know what folks think...
So, thoughts on work to be this weekend;
- Get any antenna up
- Get a length of RG-213 terminated with PL259 connectors
- Blow the dust of my 4:1 balun I made some time back and check the connectors out
- Modify the 80m DC RX to run on 10m
- Patch up some audio cable for the DCRx to peecee sound card
- Work out how to capture images or do screen dumps from glfer
- Announce it...
Doesn't sound like much on 'paper', but on top of the domestic chores should be a busy weekend.
Kim - VK5FNET